I started drinking butter coffee about 3 years ago after reading about it on Dave Asprey’s blog. He called it “Bulletproof” and with good reason. It’s a powerful elixir designed to fuel your brain and your body!
Actually, from a keto, brain food and Intermittent Fasting (IF) perspective, butter is not essential. So let’s call it Keto Coffee to be more precise and include all the Dairy Free among us!
Keto Coffee is particularly effective to drink in place of breakfast, keeping your evening fast going for a few more hours. But even with a real food breakfast, it’s a wonderful energizing start to your day!
I explain all the basics to get you started in the video, along with the details about WHY you would put fats in your coffee!
Simple Keto Coffee recipe here!
I put a stick of butter in my coffee pot every night so when the coffee brews in the am, there’s already butter in there. Before pouring a cup, I put the stick blender in the pot and blend that all up. (You have to do it each time before pouring a fresh cup because the butter will separate and float on top.)
Just skip the butter if you are dairy-free (DF)! There are PLENTY of delicious Keto Coffee options below!
To each cup, I add one or more of the following ingredients, stick blend again in my cup on low for a sec to blend up the fats, and drink — yummy and filling!
Not interested in sweet? No worries, just skip those. You are looking for good quality fats in your coffee, sweetener completely optional!
Keto Coffee Ingredients
How much of each ingredient? To taste, really. In Dave’s original Bulletproof recipe, he had 2 Tbsp of butter, then added 1 Tbsp of MCT. Just know you want to work your way up to a good amount of fat in there to keep you feeling satisfied, not hungry or hangry, till your first meal. Amounts are totally up to you!
- Butter from (in order of preference): local grass-fed cows or Kerrygold or organic. Because butter is a superfood! We get just shy of a Tbsp in each cup.
- MCT Oil DF – turns to ketones immediately! I use a Tbsp in each cup. Completely flavorless. Read why you want ketones in your body here.
- Keto Kreme (for sweet and MCT) – loaded with healthy, healing fats, the new formulation even heals DNA! A little goes a long way, a tsp in a cup is plenty sweet for me. To learn more about this amazing product, click here for the pdf flyer
- Stevia (organic, with erythritol) DF — for sweet if I have no KK or Choc Swirl.
- Heavy cream — more good fats. I use the best I can find from the health food store. We have a local low-pasteurized, non-homogenized brand in a glass bottle here in KY, that’s my first choice. If you don’t have a local option, Snowville is a reputable brand.
- Chocolate Swirl Keto OS DF — Mostly for sweet although you are getting a few ketones in your coffee, yay! A 1/4 tsp per cup is plenty sweet and choc for me. How is it DF? Because this flavor has no MCT which, in powder form, needs a little dairy to hold it together. Ingredients in photo below. Btw, only Keto Kreme and the Orange Dream flavor have MCT powder, all other flavors are DF and Vegan Friendly.
- Coconut Manna (organic, unsweetened) DF OMG this stuff is so good, high fat, low carb and VERY sweet! It does have a coconut taste.
- Coconut Cream (unsweetened, organic) DF I’ve never used this but I have it in my cart to try! Lots of friends use this and love it.
- Cacao Butter (organic, unsweetened) DF I love this stuff! When I first started using it, it tasted very greasy but I loved the flavor so I persevered. Just a few crumbs to start, a small chunk is plenty for me now. VERY healthy fat!!! (You can use on your skin, too.)
Until you are fat-adapted (meaning you are digesting your fats with no digestive distress), adding fat to your coffee takes a little getting used to. If you suffer any digestive distress (which usually reveals itself as loose stools), it’s a good idea to add ingredients one at a time and little by little. See how your stomach tolerates, then titrate up!
It’s also a good idea to start slowly until you are taste-bud-adapted! Slow as in a tsp of butter OR MCT the first day and no other fats. And blend WELL. If your coffee tastes greasy, there are either too many fats in it or it’s not blended well enough.
In either case, don’t give up the first day: cut back on amounts, blend thoroughly and persevere. The payback is worth the effort!
Do you have other ideas for Keto Coffee? Please share them in the comments — thank you.
Oh, if you are a keto-er (or a wanna-be keto-er 🙂 ) and female, join my Facebook group, click here: Keto Way for Women!
Better fat loss, energy, focus
I lost 30 pounds of fat, my productivity has tripled, and focus is sky-high. How? Ketones. To learn more, use the form below. (No spam. Ever!)