The most efficient, most delicious way to get liver into your body is to make heart and liver paté. Oh. My. Goodness. This is so good, you won’t believe you made it!
Plus, it’s so easy to make, even I could. I didn’t, of course. Hal did. But I coulda. Now you can:
Recipe for Heart and Liver Paté
- 1 stick butter (raw, cultured if you can get it)
- 1 pound pastured chicken hearts and liver
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, stalks removed, sliced
- 1/4 C sherry
- Garam Masala (we buy it by the pound)
- Salt to taste (we use real salt)
1. Get the veggies started cooking in 1/2 stick of the butter. Season with salt, pepper, a little Garam Masala.
2. Once the veggies are soft, add in the hearts and liver, bring to a simmer and cook till the water is gone.
3. Empty the pan into the Cuisinart and deglaze the pan with 2 Tbsp water (or wine — we would have used wine but we just didn’t have any around). Scrape the liquid around so all the good is off the bottom of pan.
4. Add that sauce to the Cuisinart. Add in the other 1/2 stick of butter (sometimes we add an add’l 1/2 stick… we like butter) and whip into a smooth paste.
5. Put in ramekins, cover and serve chilled. Goes great with celery, chips, toast, bread… ?
Ok, gotta go get more before Morgan eats it all. If you make this, please tell me what you did differently.