Have you ever made homemade mayo by toiling over the blender, adding in sunflower oil drop-by-agonizing-drop?
It’s “agonizing” because 8 ounces of oil starts to feel like 8 pounds after holding that cup for a few minutes!
Plus, you are anxiously staring into the mix, waiting for the oil and egg to turn to glop instead of creamy mayo.
Making mayo used to be a huge deal, but those days are GONE!!!
Now you can have homemade mayo in less than 5 minutes — that includes getting everything out and putting it away.
The blending? One minute. No wait. LESS than a minute.
In fact, I made a video to PROVE how quick and easy it is to make mayo with a stick blender:
See? I made that two weeks ago and last night I had to make another batch! Yeah, mayo is a food group around here!
Here’s the cookbook where I got the basic recipe: Nourishing Traditions, 675 pages, 5 stars with 1700 reviews.
I’m telling you, get this cookbook!!! It’s as much a primer as a cookbook. I use it all the time.
Here’s my recipe (with my curry tweak). This is for a double batch.
Recipe: One Minute Homemade Mayo
- 2 cups oil – I use avocado. Nice consistency, not too heavily flavored.
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg Yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp whey (optional — whey helps it last longer, acv might do the same)
Put all ingredients into your bigger-than-2-cups container — see notes below re. container.
That’s right: put ALL ingredients in the container. At the same time!!! Everything sinks to the bottom with the oil on top, right? Perfect!
Place your stick blender all the way to the bottom of the container and turn it on high. Leave it at the bottom to blend all those ingredients together first. When you see the mayo start to blossom, S-L-O-W-L-Y inch the blender up off the bottom.
Continue slowly going up till you reach the top. I find I need to stir and blend the top to get the last of the oil all blended in.
The entire blending process should take less than a minute.
If you’ve ever made mayo the “old” way, this is nothing short of AMAZING, right?
Mayo Notes & Resources
- Container must be tall rather than wide. This one is PERFECT! You don’t want too much oil hitting the blade until the other ingredients are blended. Also, plastic or silicone is safer. I’ve had a stick blender break a mason jar. That’s messy.
- Stick blender we have this one and it comes with a perfect container.
- For a single batch, split the recipe exactly in half.
- Don’t like curry? The original recipe calls for mustard in place of curry so, if you aren’t a curry fan, use mustard instead. You can really play around with the flavors. I’ve done half curry, half mustard, excellent. Also added horseradish — AWESOME!!! Now the Bubbie’s usually comes out with the mayo. I added a little cayenne once… I love cayenne but it just wasn’t right. I’m trying a minced jalapeño next, though. Also considering a rosemary mayo… lots of variations to play with.
- Mustard We use dry (our local Kroger has organic on the shelves) but you can use what’s in your fridge, too!
- Eggs Most mayo recipes call for the eggs to be room temperature. Maybe that makes a difference, but I usually haven’t planned ahead far enough to have room temperature eggs (unless I go out and pull them from under a hen). Cold eggs always work great for me.
- Lemon Squeezer Since I was making my electrolyte drink next, I had out the awesome electric lemon juicer. But normally I use my hand lemon squeezer. DON’T GET A CHEAP ONE. I had one of those break in my hand. Harrumph.
Enjoy — life is better with homemade mayo. It just is. What are your favorite mayo flavors?
If you appreciate the information provided here, please subscribe below and tell your friends! To support my work, buy something from me =/:-)
- The supplements I use & recommend are the best available: top quality, well-researched & CLEAN.
- Products include meal replacement protein shakes, probiotics, greens powders, colostrum, safe detox agents & protocols, daily supplements, energy drinks, clean makeup, safe skincare & more.
- Text me, my phone and email are at the top of every page, let's take your health & vitality to the next level of HAPPY!