Every raw milk drinker I know cringes at the thought of boiling away all those great enzymes & bacteria in raw milk to make yogurt. We yearn for truly raw milk yogurt.
Welp. I’ve tried. Several times: with culture, with commercial yogurt, with gelatin, sitting on the counter, in the IP… And EVERY TIME I got slimy yogurt. Slimy yogurt that won’t strain!
So I always went back to my standard home made thick Greek yogurt — which is delicious, absolutely fabulous!
I almost gave up on really raw milk yogurt! But I didn’t and, today, I have a gallon of raw milk yogurt in my fridge!
Here’s the downside: it’s more drinkable than stir-able. You see, in order for yogurt to set and get that coveted firm yogurt texture, you have to “crack the proteins” and that’s what the high heat does. While it doesn’t actually boil, it does get to 180 degrees which pasteurizes, thus breaking the proteins. You sacrifice the raw bacteria for the yogurt consistency.
And you do get a lot of great bacteria going, too — it is yogurt, after all =/:-)
The upside to truly raw is that, well, it’s RAW, unpasteurized: all those great enzymes & bacteria intact!!! And it tastes like yogurt. It’s delicious. It’s just more drinkable than stir-able. That’s ok — I can’t wait to make my protein drink with it!!!
BONUS: perfect for making yogurt pops for the kids!!! I do plain with a few berries or mix in some of my chocolate protein shake! The kids love these, even with the thicker yogurt I make!!! I have these popsicle molds and just ordered these SO CUTE!!!
I’m also thinking frozen yogurt for a dessert treat… hmmm…
Here’s how I did it.
- Instant Pot – make sure to get one with the yogurt button
- Silicone lid or Glass lid for IP (I have the silicone)
- 1 gallon RAW milk
- 1/2 to 1 Cup of an organic whole milk yogurt — we like Seven Stars brand
- Pour the gallon of milk into the IP.
- Whisk in the yogurt
- Press the yogurt button, cover with a lid and leave undisturbed for 24 hours.
- The yogurt button brings the pot temp to 100° so if you don’t have an IP, that’s the magic temp.
- Next put the pot in the fridge for 6-24 hours till really cold. This helps thicken it.
- Now you have regular yogurt!
- When you take it out of the fridge, it will probably be pretty separated: whey & yogurt. Whisk it well and you have your drink-able raw milk yogurt.
Here’s how it looks just out of the fridge. Notice my tone, lol. I’m not so happy…
But I decide to mix it all up and give it another shot. SO GLAD I DID!!!
My adventures in the kitchen, love it!!! I’m still playing with ways to thicken it, probably with gelatin which has its own health benefits. If you’ve tried this, I’d love to hear your tips & tricks!!!
If you appreciate the information provided here, please subscribe below and tell your friends! To support my work, buy something from me =/:-)
- The supplements I use & recommend are the best available: top quality, well-researched & CLEAN.
- Products include meal replacement protein shakes, probiotics, greens powders, colostrum, safe detox agents & protocols, daily supplements, energy drinks, clean makeup, safe skincare & more.
- Text me, my phone and email are at the top of every page, let's take your health & vitality to the next level of HAPPY!