If you are like most Americans — and these days, most HUMANS around the world — you are starting your day with cereal, toast, a bagel, pancakes and, possibly, an egg.
The irony is that we think this is a healthy breakfast, that it won’t make us fat (it will) and that it’s good for our energy.
Nothing could be further from the TRUTH!!! The truth is that a high carb breakfast gives you energy for 20-60 minutes, then a crash. It leaves you with brain fog because your brain has used up that bit of energy and has nothing left.
Here’s the trouble with that HIGH-CARB breakfast above:
- you are hungry an hour after breakfast
- and/or grouchy
- STARVING by lunchtime (even though you’ve eaten “plenty” and snacked a bit)
- you become a snacker or grazer
- there is an excellent chance you are riding the blood sugar rollercoaster.
BUT a high fat, high protein breakfast FEEDS your muscles & your brain!!!
Here’s my quick morning breakfast SHAKE*!
- 1/2 c frozen org cherries or berries (or fresh if in season)
- 8-12 oz any combo of: drinkable yogurt, coconut water, fermented coconut water, coconut milk
- 2 scoops Arbonne Protein powder, chocolate or vanilla AND/OR 10-20 grams of protein from a CLEAN collagen source (not all vegan, must have some animal collagen)!
- 1-2 Tbsp organic almond butter
- 3 pastured egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp organic flax seed oil (buy it here or check your local health food store — DO NOT BUY if it’s not refrigerated at the store)
- 1-2 Tbsp ghee (buy it here or make your own)
Blend & enjoy!
Why Fats Are Important
PLEASE if you are not used to lots of fats, add the oil and ghee after you’ve been drinking everything else for a couple of weeks. Add the flax seed oil after 2 more weeks 1 TSP AT A TIME for two weeks, then the ghee 1 tsp at a time for 2 weeks. When your liver and gall bladder are not used to digesting fats, you have to wake up that mechanism. Otherwise you’ll get gas, bloating, runs and ugh-ness.
Why would you bother? Because high quality fats are the building blocks for healthy cells — you CAN NOT have healthy cells without them! In fact, eating poor quality fats is one of the prime destroyers of health.
Change your fats to top quality before doing anything else. Eat fatty fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel. Eat fatty meats — ribeye, bacon, dark meat poultry. Use pastured butter or ghee to cook with and to eat. Vegetable oils are the most important to get right because poor quality is poison! We use (organic only) avocado oil, coconut, top quality olive oil (or skip this one).
WHY these ingredients & WHERE to buy
Cherries/berries have fiber & antioxidants
Yogurt is full of beneficial enzymes, excellent for gut health. Coconut has electrolytes and good healthy fats.
Arbonne protein: 20 grams vegan protein, 24 vitamins/minerals/electrolytes, all essential amino acids, GF/SF, certified low glycemic, verified non-GMO, tested for heavy metals and contaminants (see below for purchasing info)
Collagen is an excellent protein source. If you are using collagen alone, it must have some animal sources. I use my It Works collagen which is a wonderful mix of both. Only 5 grams of protein but you can add for a boost (plus excellent for hair, skin, nails!)
Almond butter instead of peanut butter because peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. Plus peanuts tend to be high-mold so I avoid.
Pastured eggs: if you don’t know where to buy pastured eggs, contact a local WAPF chapter leader and they can help.
Flax Seed Oil: fabulous fat, excellent for building cells, used in many cancer treatments. NOTE: too much of any fat when you are not used to it can cause gastric distress. Best to start slow, with 1/4 tsp even, and work your way up to the full Tbsp.
Why NO Other Fruits?
Because fruits = sugar.
- Berries are acceptable because they are HIGH antioxidant and LOW sugar.
- A small piece of GREEN banana is acceptable because it’s HIGH fiber & LOW sugar.
- 1/4 to 1/2 avocado is awesome, makes it very thick — EXCELLENT fat, ZERO sugar!
Order Your CLEAN Protein Shake
- Click here
- 4 flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Unflavored (look for the Daily Protein Boost), Strawberry (for a short time)
- When you are ready to purchase, text me at 859-550-3862 and let me help you get the best deal!!!
LOOKING FOR A CHANGE?
If you’re looking for a career change or want to break into the health & wellness field and be a part of the solution, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember to Practice forgiveness and to plant seeds of love and hope everywhere everyday. xoxoxo
*Thank you to Dr. Kelly Brogan who has written two of my most favorite books — this one on depression & this one on owning yourself — for the basics in this shake! I’m a huge fan and follow her on IG!